Skip Navigation

About Us

 

Hopkins Nursing Through the Years

 

1889

-The Johns Hopkins Hospital opens in May.

-The Johns Hopkins Hospital Training School for Nurses opens in October.

-Isabel Hampton becomes the first Superintendent of Nurses and Principal.

1892

The Alumnae Association of the Johns Hopkins Hospital Training School for Nurses is formed with 38 members.

1894

Isabel Hampton marries Dr. Hunter Robb and resigns from her duties as Superintendent of Nurses; M. Adelaide Nutting is named as her replacement.

1904

M. Adelaide Nutting becomes the first RN in Maryland.

1907

M. Adelaide Nutting helps launch the American Journal of Nursing.

1910s

Hopkins Nurses expand their reach globally through their involvement with the American Red Cross and the United States Army Nursing Corps during World War I.

1919-1941

Hopkins Nursing assists with the establishment of a nursing school at the Peking Union Medical College in China.

1926

Hampton House, named for the first superintendent of the Training School, Isabel Hampton Robb, opens as a residence for nursing students.

1950

Anna D. Wolf, Director from 1940-1955, forges new links with the University; major inroads toward University affiliation made for nursing training.

1959

Gertrude Jones, Hopkins Nursing's first African-American student, graduates.

1971

Herb Zinder and Jim Levya, Hopkins Nursing's first male students, graduate.

1973

The Johns Hopkins Hospital School of Nursing graduates its last class and closes.

1974-1979

Johns Hopkins University School of Health Services Nursing Education program opens in 1974, offers BSN degree, and closes in 1979.

1984

The Johns Hopkins University School of Nursing (JHUSON) opens as a degree-granting division of Johns Hopkins University.

1987

Master's and post-doctoral fellowship programs first offered.

1988

Nursing Research Program initiated at The Johns Hopkins Hospital (JHH).

1990

Accelerated program begins, with students earning a BS in 13 months.

1991

Sigma Theta Tau International, the nursing honor society, approves a chapter at Hopkins—Nu Beta.

1992

-Wald Community Nursing Center established to serve Baltimore's uninsured.

-Peace Corps Fellows program developed.

1993

A doctoral program is first offered, beginning with 5 students.

1994

Center for Nursing Research established at JHUSON to support faculty research on ways to promote health and improve delivery of health services.

1995

Institute for Johns Hopkins Nursing established, linking education at the School of Nursing and practice at The Johns Hopkins Hospital Department of Nursing.

1998

Anne M. Pinkard Building, the first dedicated to the education of Hopkins nurses, opens.

2002

Center on Health Disparities Research is established at JHUSON.

2003

The Hospital's Department of Nursing earns Magnet status, the American Nurses Credentialing Center's (ANCC) highest honor.

2004

-JHUSON partners with the Peking Union Medical College to offer the first doctoral education of nurses in China.

-Nursing alumni for Church Home and Hospital join the Johns Hopkins Nurses' Alumni Association.

2005

The Office of Global Nursing is created at JHUSON to foster international initiatives.

2007

-Academic departments are established at JHUSON:

  • Department of Acute and Chronic Care;
  • Department of Community Public Health;
  • Department of Health Systems and Outcomes.
-Doctor of Nursing Practice (DNP) program established at JHUSON.

2008

-Plans underway for a building addition at the School of Nursing; fundraising campaign is launched.

-Ranked 2nd by U.S. News & World Report for Community Health Nursing Programs.

-Moved to 4th place (from 6th) in U.S. News and World Report rankings of all nursing Graduate Programs and to 7th in Nursing Service Administration.

-Ranked 7th for NIH funding among schools of nursing in the nation.

-Scholarly productivity named 6th among peer institutions.

2/3
2010 nursing graduate survey respondents found employment in 90 days
Back to Top